Joy Comes From Obedience
I just read these beautiful verses found in John 15:10-11. Jesus says, “If you keep my commandments you will abide in my love just as I have kept my father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may remain in you and that your joy may be full."
• I am asked to keep his commandments because Jesus showed the way in doing likewise. If Jesus kept his father's commandments it shows that I can keep Jesus’ commandments as well. Because Jesus was fully human (just like us) it gives me courage to do likewise. Jesus was the example and I need to follow his example. I can do all things through Christ to strengthen me.
• To keep means to obey; to follow through…to do it!
• The motivation comes from a personal relationship with Jesus! When I have a relationship with Jesus I want to do things that please him. One of things I know that pleases him is to abide/stay faithful. Abiding means "hanging on" and "staying faithful."
• All of this is so that I can have joy. We all want more joy in our life. But this joy is not the same as happiness which is what this world always desires and longs after. This joy comes from a personal relationship with Jesus; this joy comes from keeping his commandments.
• Jesus wants us to experience this joy that comes from a relationship with him. This joy is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit found in Galatians 5. Who’s joy is it? Jesus' joy. "These things I have spoken to you, so that my joy may remain in you." It's not mine; it is his! Notice it doesn't stop here. Jesus’ joy then results in my joy. It's not partial is complete. Jesus wants me to be full of joy. And this joy comes from obeying his commands. When you love somebody you will surrender to that person. When I love Jesus I will surrender to him and his commandments.
Do you want to have more joy in your life? Then obey Jesus’ commands. Read his word daily; you cannot obey something that you do not know. Knowing his commands comes from faithfully reading his word. As you do this watch your joy become more full.